Through a 9 month planning process involving Board and staff members, musicians, volunteers, community leaders, and others, the Winston-Salem Symphony has developed this strategic plan to guide activities over the next five years towards a common set of priorities and goals that we believe will advance the organization in a way that is consistent with our vision, mission and values.
The vision of the Symphony is to touch everyone with music.
We strongly believe in the value and power of music to inspire community, build connections and serve as a catalyst for the growth and development of people in many ways. To that end, while our primary focus is musical performance, just as important is our desire to provide diverse educational experiences for children and adults that build and support the appreciation of music with all generations. Of course, we value fiscal integrity as well, so we strive to create a balance between our passion for reaching everyone in an innovative and thoughtful way and our stewardship of resources.
Therefore, our mission is to be a catalyst for an inspired community through live and innovative musical performances of the highest quality.
In order to accomplish this mission, this plan establishes our strategic priorities and goals for the next five years. The priorities and goals relate to the following key issue areas:
- Audience development. Building long-term sustainable, and diverse patron relationships that cultivate brand loyalty across the Triad region
- Education. Providing educational and community engagement programs that bring the joy of music to our local and regional communities
- Financial strength. Ensuring the enduring financial growth of the organization, and providing incremental funding support for the needs of the strategic plan
- Human capital. Attracting, engaging and retaining top talent in musicians, staff and volunteers so that we ensure and develop the full potential of the organization’s human resources
- Technology. Using technology to effectively enhance administrative functions, concerts and other programs, as well as certain priorities in key issue areas of the strategic plan
- Venue. Presenting programs in venues that provide the highest quality experiences for audiences and musicians
To read the 2012-2017 Strategic Plan in its entirety, please download the PDF version.